[Gluster-users] volume sizes

Tejas N. Bhise tejas at gluster.com
Wed Dec 30 18:07:44 UTC 2009

Thanks, Raghvendra.

Anthony,

Its a "lazy" self-heal mechanism, if you will. If one wants it all done right away, an ls -alR will access each file and hence cause the rebuild of the whole glusterfs volume which _may_, like you mentioned, be spread across disk partitions, LVM/RAID luns or even server nodes.

Even after all that, only the files impacted in the volume would need to be rebuilt - although there might be some difference in overheads for different sized and configured Glusterfs volumes. It might be interesting to check - we have not done numbers on this.

Let me check with the person who is more familiar with this area of code than me and he may be able to suggest  some ballpark numbers till we run some real numbers. Meanwhile, if you do some tests, please share the numbers with the community.

Regards,
Tejas.