[Gluster-users] Tutorial/Howto/more information about how to run Glusterfs

Harald Stürzebecher haralds at cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 26 16:58:08 UTC 2009

2009/10/26 Nathan Stratton <nathan at robotics.net>:

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Daniel Meier wrote:
>
>> Hi list
>>
>> I'm new with GlusterFS. I managed to compile and install the current
>> GlusterFS on two machines. I configured them as "distributed,
>> replicated volumes" according to the wiki.
>>
>> glusterfsd is now running on both systems. However, they don't
>> communicate with each other and the data is not replicated. I'm
>> looking for a tutorial, or more advanced how-to. If I get Glusterfs
>> running, I'd like to contribute a tutorial, but I'm missing some basic
>> information about how GlusterFS works.
>>
>> As far as I can see, GlusterFS has both a server and client. The
>> client can be used in conjunction with FUSE to mount a, let's say,
>> distributed volume that's spread over multiple Gluster servers. That's
>> all I know or was able to find out.
>
> Is iptables running? Can you post some logs? It sounds like a firewall
> issue.

A quick check for that would be to try to contact each of the servers
from each of the clients (hint: GlusterFS uses tcp port 6996 per
default).

On a linux system with netcat installed that might be:
# nc <IP-address of server> 6996
If the GlusterFS server is running, that should not exit with an error
message like "connection refused".

Harald Stürzebecher