[Gluster-users] Gluster-users Digest, Vol 20, Issue 22

Arvids Godjuks arvids.godjuks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 02:28:25 UTC 2010

2010/1/6 Liam Slusser <lslusser at gmail.com>:
> Arvids & Larry,
>
> Interesting read, Arvids. ...

Well, I think JBOD style makes it much more less painfull loosing a
disk than a whole RAID array. Single disk will be restored far faster
than a whole raid array. Especially if you can do hotswap of your
disks, well yes, hardware should support this ofcourse.
Anyway, I do think that a correct combination of AFR and DHT will make
up for that disk loss. If only Gluster could do data relocation as a
node/disk goes offline.

>Konstantin Sharlaimov
RAID-6 isn't raid-5. Raid-6 has more parity control disks, that means
it can do paralel reads from more than one disk and performance
doesn't degrade as much as with raid-5. That's why I think you get
your rstore fast - your disk is able to recive data fast enought to do
writes at high speed: actualy 8 hours for 1.5TB is about 72MB/sec
average write speed - not many disks can keep up such speeds all the
time.