[Gluster-users] tuning glusterfs?

pkoelle pkoelle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 22:49:28 UTC 2010

Am 20.01.2010 19:02, schrieb Jiann-Ming Su:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:23 AM, pkoelle<pkoelle at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Am 19.01.2010 18:30, schrieb Jiann-Ming Su:
>>>
>>> I ran a simple bonnie++ benchmark on 3.0.0.  The read performance
>>> through FUSE is horrible.  Are there some parameters that can be tuned
>>> to improve read performance?
>>
>> Hi Jiann,
>>
>> You didn't provide information for anyone to help you. You should at least
>> post the exact bonnie++ command line you used and some information about
>> your setup (config files, transport, etc.).
>>

> Bonnie++ command:  ./bonnie++ -u 99:99 -d /var/boot -s 2000
>
> The system I'm testing on has 1GB RAM.  /var/boot is the glusterfs
> mount via fuse.
>
> The transport is tcp but all on localhost.  Here's the glusterfsd.vol:
>
> volume posix1
>    type storage/posix
>    option directory /mnt/gluster/gfs2
This looks suspicious. Is this a gfs2 mount? what kind of performance do
you get wen running bonnie++ directly against /mnt/gluster/gfs2?

My setup is vastly different so I can't give direct advice. It should be
possible to watch bonnie++ and the glusterfs processes via strace to
find out whats happening (especially for the ~8sec read latency).

Can you leave out some of the performance/* translators and also try a
"real" network interface with lower MTU values to see of that helps? I
had terrible results with bigger MTU (6500) and bigger values for
net.core.(r/w)mem_max in /etc/sysctl.conf. IOPS where in the range of
5/sec.

hth
  Paul