[Gluster-users] Slow speed with Gluster Backed Xen DomU's

Samuli Heinonen samppah at neutraali.net
Tue Jul 20 21:39:51 UTC 2010

Hello Sheng,

Sorry for the delay with my answer. I got your message earlier but I was
hoping that someone else would answer with more precise information.

I did some testing almost a year ago to use GlusterFS to store Xen images.
I was testing with pre 2.10 version of GlusterFS but my findings were very
similar to yours. Writing speed was fine when done from Dom0 to GlusterFS
mount, I was even able to max out GigE link with my cheap hardware.
However when I did same tests on DomU (image inside the GlusterFS mount)
the write speeds dropped drastically. Read speeds were ok all the time.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to investigate it much further back then.
Although I did some performance tests with Bonnie++ on Dom0 and noticed
that block write speeds were almost the same as write speeds in general on
DomU. So, my guess is that block write speeds needs somekind of on
GlusterFS side?

-samuli