[Gluster-users] Old story - glusterfs memory usage

Amar Tumballi amar at gluster.com
Fri Mar 26 06:27:52 UTC 2010

> Could you please tell me, which function in glusterfs handles the
> 'forget()'
> request?

check 'xlators/mount/fuse/src/fuse-bridge.c:612:fuse_forget()', thats the
entry point of 'forget()' calls.

Later inode_forget() calls each xlators's 'forget()' function.

> > To send forceful forgets to glusterfs, do the following.
> >
> > bash# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
> >
> > and see the memory usage after this.
> I did it almost one year ago, as recommended by a member of the Gluster
> team,
> and repeated yesterday, on Raghavednra's request. Nothing happens,
> the memory usage stays as high as it was before.
> The question I'm asking and never got an answer sounds as follows:
> What happens on your site, when you repeat the "du" test (ls -R works as
> well)?
> If it would work as you claim, then the real reason of my problems would be
> hidden somewhere in my system setup, not in glusterfs.
> The test setup I posted yesterday is trivial - you even do not need a
> server,
> a directory is sufficient.

We have taken memory management (both about leaks, and reducing CPU loads)
seriously.

Have a look at patchsets which are soon going to come soon, which enable us
to pin point the leaks here:

http://patches.gluster.com/
http://patches.gluster.com/patch/2971/  <- patchset starts here

With 3.1 we will have more clear answer fo all memory related questions.

Regards,
Amar