[Gluster-users] The ProxMox/ARM challange...

Charles Williams chuck at itadmins.net
Tue Aug 9 10:43:51 UTC 2011

So ladies and gentlemen. I am looking for a bit of
insight/input/advice/rants/raves and/or general insanity that may or may
not lead me to the solution I am searching for.

Here is the situation.

I have a small farm of ProxMox servers. Standard installs (Debian Lenny
based Host systems with mixed Containers). As per standard install the
largest portion of the drive is handed over to /dev/mapper/pve-data
which is mounted under /var/lib/vz. Standard configuration of OpenVZ and
it's containers are in /etc/vz.

I have a few QNAP T412 ARM based NAS boxes installed and waiting with 12
TB per box on a private net connected to the ProxMox boxes on their
second NIC. Backup PC is installed and backing up all host systems and
Containers separately. On the QNAP box the data is stored in
/share/MD0_DATA.

The challenge is getting the data on the Host systems mirrored to the
QNAP boxes.

Host node    -->      QNAP node

/etc              -->      /share/MD0_DATA/Host/etc

/var/lib/vz    -->      /share/MD0_DATA/Host/vz

Gluster was the first solution that went through my mind. The problem is
that, from what I have been able to piece together, Gluster has problems
with ARM based systems. How would you go about getting this setup
working? And be advised, rsync is not an option unless you can couple it
with something that catches the changes on the systems (iwatch maybe)
and can trigger an rsync update of that/those file(s) as soon as it's
changed.

If you need more information just let me know.

Have fun with the challenge,

Chuck