[Gluster-users] Gluster Installation and Benchmarks

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Wed Aug 10 12:37:53 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 02:22:55PM +0200, David Pusch wrote:

> we now did  another test where we  mounted the Volume on the client and shut
> down all Servers but one. We then transferred a 1 GB test file to the Volume.
> The transfer took around 10 seconds. We then brought up another server from the
> Cluster and again transferred a 1 GB file. Transfer time now was  roughly 20
> seconds. We proceeded in this manner for the last two servers, and each time
> the transfer time increased by ca. 10 seconds.

>     an 18 brick distributed replicated Volume with a replica 6 setting.

David,

Why "replica 6"? That means you're keeping a copy of each file physically on
each server. So if writing the file file to one takes 10 seconds, writing
the file to a second takes another 10 seconds, and so on, that kind of makes
sense. You can't transfer a single file to two places as fast as to one.

Having more than two copies of any single file is unusual. Having more than
three - I'm not sure why anyone would do that for local storage.

Whit