[Gluster-users] add-brick to replicated setup

Patrick Irvine pirv at cybersites.ca
Mon Feb 7 08:52:31 UTC 2011

Hi Pranith,

Ok, I understand what you are saying.  I originally had followed the
online documentation:

"For example, to create a pure replicated volume with two storage servers:

# gluster volume create test-volume replica 2 transport tcp
server1:/exp1 server2:/exp2
Creation of volume replicate has been successful"

now this creates a purely replicated volume with two replica's

But this does not allow you to add more replicas on the fly at a later date.

Is there another way to setup the volume so that it can be expanded in a
purely replicated manner with out distribute?

I have set up a three node replicate that I can remove bricks from and
add them back in, but then I'm limited to three nodes and can not add
additional as required.

This seems to suggest that elastic volume management is only in a
distribute type and not replicate.  I do understand that replicate will
not expand my storage size, just expand my data safety with more copies :)

Is this making sense?

Pat.