[Gluster-users] Removing bricks

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 14:43:49 UTC 2011

On 02/09/2011 09:45 AM, Thomas Wakefield wrote:
> I am not using replicate, so that won't help me.

Perhaps you should use replicate, even if it's only temporary.  Let's
say you start with pure distribute, like this.

	dist(brick1old,brick2old,brick3old)

First you turn one of those bricks into a replica pair.

	dist(brick1=repl(brick1old,brick1new),brick2old,brick3old)

Then you self-heal on brick1, migrating data from brick1old to
brick1new.  Finally, you remove brick1old.

	dist(brick1new,brick2old,brick3old)

Repeat the process for brick2 and brick3.  There will be a brief
disruption each time you modify the volfiles, but most of the data
migration (which takes up most of the time) can happen while the system
as a whole is live.  You can even do the replication server-side, to
avoid copies over the network.