[Gluster-users] Reconfiguring volume type

Udo Waechter udo.waechter at uni-osnabrueck.de
Tue Feb 15 17:53:39 UTC 2011

Hi all.
I have been looking around the web but did not find a satisfying answer.
Is it possible to change a volume type from distributed to distributed+replica with gluster 3.1.2?
An online way at least?

The manpage suggests that I can do:
$ gluster volume add-brick <VOLNAME> [(replica <COUNT>)|(stripe <COUNT>)] <NEW-BRICK> ...

I tried to add additional bricks to an existing distribute-type volume by:
gluster volume add-brick testvol replica 2 <newbrick>

This failed.

I have 3 bricks in a distribute volume and would like to add additional 3 bricks to have it distribute+replicate.

I can do it offline by (something like):
- stop the volume
- delete it
- recreate it with addtional replicate bricks.

I guess i need to take care that the data from the bricks is somehow synched to just one or so...

Last small question: If I "gluster remove-brick" one brick, does its data get migrated to the other bricks? This is the case with "replace-brick".

Thanks for your time and thoughts,
udo.

--
:: udo waechter - root at zoide.net :: N 52º16'30.5" E 8º3'10.1"