[Gluster-users] Fwd: files not syncing up with glusterfs 3.1.2

Steve Wilson stevew at purdue.edu
Mon Feb 21 17:45:07 UTC 2011

On 02/21/2011 09:54 AM, paul simpson wrote:
> hi fabricio,
>
> many thanks for your input.  indeed i am using xfs - but that seems to be
> mentioned in the gluster docs without any mention of problems.  we
> benchmarked xfs vs ext4 - and found that xfs to be much better at dealing
> with the bulk of our data - hi-def frames ~3-10M each - and large
> geometry/particle/volume files.  10M-200M.  so, i'm keen to hear from anyone
> abotu xfs's suitability for gluster storage...
>
> as for file size; my understanding is that a distributed file system
> performance only really kicks in when your dealing with large>1M files.
>   however, is dealing with small files meant to be unreliable with
> locking/access errors?

We had trouble with reliability for small, actively-accessed files on a
distribute-replicate volume in both GlusterFS 3.11 and 3.12.  It seems
that the replicated servers would eventually get out of sync with each
other on these kinds of files.  For a while, we dropped replication and
only ran the volume as distributed.  This has worked reliably for the
past week or so without any errors that we were seeing before: no such
file, invalid argument, etc.

Steve