[Gluster-users] Setting up 3.1

Amar Tumballi amar at gluster.com
Thu Jan 13 05:49:07 UTC 2011

Hi Marcus,

Replies Inline.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:59 AM, Marcus Bointon
<marcus at synchromedia.co.uk>wrote:

> [Repost - last time this didn't seem to work]
>
> I've been running gluster for a couple of years, so I'm quite used to 3.0.x
> and earlier. I'm looking to upgrade to 3.1.1 for more stability (I'm getting
> frequent 'file has vanished' errors when rsyncing from 3.0.6) on a
> bog-standard 2-node dist/rep config. So far it's not going well. I'm running
> on Ubuntu Lucid x64 using the current 3.1.1 package. It seems that a lot of
> the basics are not covered in the docs - for example, it doesn't seem to
> work with tcp out of the box - the vital transport-type option doesn't even
> appear in the 3.1 docs as far as I can find!

The default transport-type is 'tcp' in 3.1.x version, hence you don't need
to specify any transport type for tcp.

> So now I've got as far as tweaking that in the glusterd.vol file (also not
> documented) and glusterd starts with no errors, but netstat tells me nothing
> is running on that port and it's not responding on port 6996 if I try to
> telnet to it.

What was the earlier error in glusterd's log file ? 'glusterd.vol' should
not be edited by anyone, hence its not documented anywhere. Also, we changed
the default port from 6996 to 24007 in 3.1.x version, so obviously there is
nothing on 6996 after you upgraded.

> Is there some documentation or howto for getting gluster 3.1.1 working over
> tcp? I don't think my situation is exactly rare!
>
> All the docs present are updated for version 3.1.x, and are kept up to
date. Please refer to
http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.0_to_3.1_Upgrade_Guide
and
let us know what exactly was the problem in upgrading.

Regards,
Amar