[Gluster-users] gluster client performance

Pavan T C tcp at gluster.com
Tue Jul 26 09:03:28 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 26 July 2011 03:42 AM, John Lalande wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I'm new to Gluster, but am trying to get it set up on a new compute
> cluster we're building. We picked Gluster for one of our cluster file
> systems (we're also using Lustre for fast scratch space), but the
> Gluster performance has been so bad that I think maybe we have a
> configuration problem -- perhaps we're missing a tuning parameter that
> would help, but I can't find anything in the Gluster documentation --
> all the tuning info I've found seems geared toward Gluster 2.x.
>
> For some background, our compute cluster has 64 compute nodes. The
> gluster storage pool has 10 Dell PowerEdge R515 servers, each with 12 x
> 2 TB disks. We have another 16 Dell PowerEdge R515s used as Lustre
> storage servers. The compute and storage nodes are all connected via QDR
> Infiniband. Both Gluster and Lustre are set to use RDMA over Infiniband.
> We are using OFED version 1.5.2-20101219, Gluster 3.2.2 and CentOS 5.5
> on both the compute and storage nodes.

Hi John,

I would need some more information about your setup to estimate the
performance you should get with your gluster setup.

1. Can you provide the details of how disks are connected to the storage
boxes ? Is it via FC ? What raid configuration is it using (if at all any) ?

2. What is the disk bandwidth you are getting on the local filesystem on
a given storage node ? I mean, pick any of the 10 storage servers
dedicated for Gluster Storage and perform a dd as below:

Write bandwidth measurement:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/export_directory/10g_file bs=128K count=80000
oflag=direct

Read bandwidth measurement:
dd if=/export_directory/10g_file of=/dev/null bs=128K count=80000
iflag=direct

[The above command is doing a direct IO of 10GB via your backend FS -
ext4/xfs.]

3. What is the IB bandwidth that you are getting between the compute
node and the glusterfs storage node? You can run the tool "rdma_bw" to
get the details:

On the server, run:
# rdma_bw -b
[ -b measures bi-directional bandwidth]

On the compute node, run,
# rdma_bw -b <server>

[If you have not already installed it, rdma_bw is available via -
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/x86_64/CentOS/perftest-1.2.3-1.el5.x86_64.rpm]

Lets start with this, and I will ask for more if necessary.

Pavan