[Gluster-users] Gluster 3.2.0 and ucarp not working

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Jun 8 20:44:23 UTC 2011

On 06/08/2011 04:37 PM, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

>> BTW: You need a virtual ip for ucarp
>
> As I said, that's what I'm doing now -- using the virtual IP address
> managed by ucarp in my fstab line. But Craig Carl from Gluster told the
> OP in this thread specifically to mount using the real IP address of a
> server when using the GlusterFS client, *not* to use the ucarp VIP.
>
> So I'm officially confused.

GlusterFS client side gets its config from the server, and makes
connections to each server.  Any of the GlusterFS servers may be used
for the mount, and the client will connect to all of them.  If one of
the servers goes away, and you have a replicated or HA setup, you
shouldn't see any client side issues.

GlusterFS using an NFS client presents a mount point, and a single point
of connection to the server.  Any of the GlusterFS servers may be used
for the mount, and the client will connect to all of them.  If one of
the servers goes away, and you have a replicated or HA setup, you
shouldn't see any client side issues if you are not attached to that
server for your mount.  Otherwise, the mount may hang.

Does this make it clearer or less so?

ucarp would be needed for the NFS side of the equation.  round robin DNS
is useful in both cases.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO