[Gluster-users] Crossover cable: single point of failure?

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Mon Jun 13 12:40:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:04:18AM +0100, Daniel Manser wrote:
> I disconnected the crossover (replication) link again and it
> happened again. When I re-connect it afterwards, it takes some
> seconds and Gluster NFS works again. If this behavior is normal,
> then the replication link becomes a single point of failure. Any
> suggestions?

It's sure not the design. So it's a bug. I can't affirm from personal
experience that filing bug reports against Gluster results in action, but
it's probably where to go with this.

I do know that it's not the Gluster-standard thing to use a crossover link.
(Seems to me it's the obvious best way to do it, but it's not a
configuration they're committed to.) It's possible that if you were doing
your replication over the LAN rather than the crossover that Gluster would
handle a disconnected system better. Might be worth testing.

Whit