[Gluster-users] Gluster and multi-homed hosts?

Patrick J. LoPresti lopresti at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 18:52:18 UTC 2011

> Hmm, why? An nfs client will do just what you want in terms of assigning a
> single address for the connection.

In my experience, Linux NFS is slow, especially for writes.

I know, when I say that, you think I probably do not know how to tune
my network, storage array, or NFS settings.  You think maybe I am
using UDP or small packets or "sync" (client or server) or...

And that is OK, because I would probably think the same thing if our
positions were reversed.

But I am able to get better than 1 gigaBYTE per second sustained NFS
read speeds (sustained = hundreds of gigabytes) with a cold cache,
between system A and system B in either direction. I can get better
than 1 gigabyte per second sustained local writes on either system.
But I just cannot get NFS writes to go faster than 200 megabtyes per
second or so.  (I can do an FTP "put" at 1 gigabyte per second.)

I am hoping the native gluster protocol can outperform this.

> The Gluster client, by contrast,
> downloads the specification of the storage cluster on initially establishing
> the connection, and works from that.

Does that configuration use host names, or IP addresses?  (Yes, what I
am considering is a kludge...)

Thank you for your responses, by the way.

 - Pat