[Gluster-users] Files per directory

Burnash, James jburnash at knight.com
Wed Mar 9 18:53:33 UTC 2011

I'm running ext4 on CentOS 5.5. Each storage server has two bricks, each in their own directory, mounted as straight partitions. No LVM used in this config.

I did find that I had to keep the ext4 format and mount options simple to avoid crashes that I encountered with more "tuned" configs.

# create ext4 read-write storage

yum -y install e4fsprogs e4fsprogs-libs e4fsprogs-devel dmapi

create a single partition on each disk, maximum size, primary type

time mke4fs -F -L g01 -v -j /dev/cciss/c1d0p1
time mke4fs -F -L g02 -v -j /dev/cciss/c2d0p1

mkdir -p /export/read-write/g0{1,2}
mount -t ext4 /dev/cciss/c1d0p1 /export/read-write/g01
mount
mount -t ext4 /dev/cciss/c2d0p1 /export/read-write/g02

fgrep read-write /etc/fstab
/dev/cciss/c1d0p1       /export/read-write/g01  ext4    defaults        0 0
/dev/cciss/c2d0p1       /export/read-write/g02  ext4    defaults        0 0

James Burnash, Unix Engineering