[Gluster-users] Quick question regarding xfs_repair

Terry Haley terry_haley at dfci.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 14 17:22:24 UTC 2011

First of all I apologize that the responses will not be intercalated with
your questions.

RAID:
The RAID is running at level 6 and to start from the beginning, it performed
a rebuild after a failed drive. Nothing spectacular on this, aside from the
fact that during the rebuild these bad logical sectors seemed to be
generated. That's when the filesystem began with all the problems. I did a
rebuild, verify with fix  and it found and fixed the four bad sectors that
was detected. I reran a verify to be sure of it and it came back clean.
Since then, the RAID device appears to be humming along like everything's
just fine.

Backup:
I was in the process of migrating my data from this cluster to a mirror
running RAID10. What this means is that hopefully if this cluster is toast I
will have at least my primary data intact and can rerun the analyses as
needed. My fear is that the data that came off the cluster post issue has
corrupted data that is masked by the gluster striping.

Unfortunately, because I'm dealing with data in the 70TB range, a
replication strategy was not put into place until the mirror was able to be
purchased at the beginning of the year. Since then I've been moving data in
stages.

Also I'm running CentOS 5.4.

I've since tried to perform an umount on the filesystem that is currently
hanging. See below:

Pre – umount:

[root at temporal002 glusterfs]# df -h
/dev/md2              143G  4.9G  131G   4% /
/dev/md0               99M   11M   83M  12% /boot
tmpfs                 5.8G     0  5.8G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdc1              21T   17T  3.2T  85% /mnt/data0
/dev/sdd1              21T   17T  3.3T  84% /mnt/data1

Post – umount and while it’s hanging:

[root at temporal002 log]# df -h
/dev/md2              143G  4.9G  131G   4% /
/dev/md0               99M   11M   83M  12% /boot
tmpfs                 5.8G     0  5.8G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdc1              21T   17T  3.2T  85% /mnt/data0
/dev/sdd1             143G  4.9G  131G   4% /mnt/data1

So the volume. In the messages file I’m getting:

Mar 14 11:15:00 temporal002 kernel: xfs_force_shutdown(sdd1,0x1) called from
line 420 of file fs/xfs/xfs_rw.c.  Return address = 0xf
fffffff8840ccf5
Mar 14 11:15:00 temporal002 kernel: Filesystem "sdd1": I/O Error Detected.
Shutting down filesystem: sdd1
Mar 14 11:15:00 temporal002 kernel: Please umount the filesystem, and
rectify the problem(s)
Mar 14 11:15:00 temporal002 kernel: Filesystem "sdd1": xfs_log_force: error
5 returned.
Mar 14 11:15:54 temporal002 last message repeated 3 times
Mar 14 11:17:24 temporal002 last message repeated 3 times
Mar 14 11:18:54 temporal002 last message repeated 3 times
Mar 14 11:20:24 temporal002 last message repeated 3 times
Mar 14 11:21:54 temporal002 last message repeated 3 times
Mar 14 11:23:24 temporal002 last message repeated 3 times

At this point, all I can see in my future is trying to reboot without
remounting and do the repair, which seems like a long shot?

Suggestions?