[Gluster-users] add-brick command with replica parameter fails

Burnash, James jburnash at knight.com
Tue Mar 15 13:29:18 UTC 2011

Hello.

According to the GlusterFS documentation, adding bricks allows a "replica N" argument in the command line, as show by this phrase from the manual:

    Brick Commands

        volume add-brick VOLNAME [(replica COUNT)|(stripe COUNT)] NEW-BRICK ...

            Add the specified brick to the specified volume.

I currently have two servers, volume configured like this:

Volume Name: test-pfs-ro1
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Number of Bricks: 2 x 2 = 4
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: jc1letgfs5:/export/read-only/g01
Brick2: jc1letgfs6:/export/read-only/g01
Brick3: jc1letgfs5:/export/read-only/g02
Brick4: jc1letgfs6:/export/read-only/g02
Options Reconfigured:
performance.stat-prefetch: on
performance.cache-size: 2GB
network.ping-timeout: 10

I want to add the next two servers, which are identically configured with hardware, storage, filesystems, etc. However, adding the bricks using the "replica" argument to indicate that I want this added as another set of mirrors, fails - as seen below:

gluster volume add-brick test-pfs-ro1 replica 2 jc1letgfs7:/export/read-only/g01 jc1letgfs8:/export/read-only/g01 jc1letgfs7:/export/read-only/g02 jc1letgfs8:/export/read-only/g02

wrong brick type: replica, use <HOSTNAME>:<export-dir-abs-path>
Usage: volume add-brick <VOLNAME> <NEW-BRICK> ...
Adding brick to Volume test-pfs-ro1 failed

Anybody able to help me out here? Just to forestall the question "have you tried adding the storage without the replica 2 parameters?" - yes, I have, and that gives me a set of servers in which taking down any one node causes all clients to hang until that node comes back up - I posted an earlier thread asking for help with that here: http://gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2011-March/006886.html

James Burnash, Unix Engineering

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please immediately notify me and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
NOTICE REGARDING PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY Knight Capital Group may, at its discretion, monitor and review the content of all e-mail communications. http://www.knight.com