[Gluster-users] how to swap out failed brick in distributed replicated setup?

Don Spidell dspidell at nxtbookmedia.com
Wed Oct 12 15:26:24 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have a distributed replicated Gluster 3.1.3 setup on Amazon EC2.  I have eight 125GB EBS volumes attached to an instance in one Availability Zone, and eight 125GB EBS volumes attached to an instance in another AZ.  Both instances are peers.  The 16 volumes are presented as one 1TB volume to my Gluster client instance.  Say an EBS volume fails or gets hung up.  I need to know the procedure for swapping it out for a fresh volume.  I tried just unmounting it, but Gluster freaked out.  I looked at remove brick and migrate brick commands, but I want to be able to swap out a volume while Gluster is online and avoid any data loss.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Don