[Gluster-users] Frequent glusterd restarts needed to avoid NFS performance degradation

Dan Bretherton d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk
Tue Apr 17 23:30:58 UTC 2012

Dear All-
I find that I have to restart glusterd every few days on my servers to
stop NFS performance from becoming unbearably slow.  When the problem
occurs, volumes can take several minutes to mount and there are long
delays responding to "ls".   Mounting from a different server, i.e. one
not normally used for NFS export, results in normal NFS access speeds.
This doesn't seem to have anything to do with load because it happens
whether or not there is anything running on the compute servers.  Even
when the system is mostly idle there are often a lot of glusterfsd
processes running, and on several of the servers I looked at this
evening there is a process called glusterfs using 100% of one CPU.  I
can't find anything unusual in nfs.log or etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log
on the servers affected.  Restarting glusterd seems to stop this strange
behaviour and make NFS access run smoothly again, but this usually only
lasts for a day or two.

This behaviour is not necessarily related to the length of time since
glusterd was started, but has more to do with the amount of work the
GlusterFS processes on each server have to do.  I use a different server
to export each of my 8 different volumes, and the NFS performance
degradation seems to affect the most heavily used volumes more than the
others.  I really need to find a solution to this problem; all I can
think of doing is setting up a cron job on each server to restart
glusterd every day, but I am worried about what side effects that might
have.  I am using GlusterFS version 3.2.5.  All suggestions would be
much appreciated.

Regards,
Dan.