[Gluster-users] ec2 elastic IPs

Brian Cipriano bcipriano at zerovfx.com
Wed Mar 21 18:13:56 UTC 2012

Hey all -

Anyone running Gluster on AWS EC2 instances out there?

I'm having some issues using Gluster on EC2 instances. I saw an old
thread titled "ec2 peers" but didn't see a solution posted as part of
that thread.

Here's my problem -

If I stop/start a single EC2 instance, usually its internal DNS name and
IP address change. This is a problem for my Gluster volume, which is
using the instances' internal DNS names - all of a sudden a bunch of
bricks in the volume aren't there - though they do still exist, they're
EBS volumes and they're attached to the same instance. It's just that
the instance has a different DNS name/ IP.

Any EC2+Gluster users out there who have found a solution to this? What
do you do when the hostname of one of your servers changes?

I can't use replace-brick because the old instance isn't available at
its old hostname.

I've tried assigning an Elastic IP and using that instead of internal
DNS, but my first server is unable to see itself as a peer when
identified by IP. I think Elastic IP is only accessible from outside the
AWS networks.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

- brian