[Gluster-users] Gluster and bonding

Jorick Astrego jorick at netbulae.eu
Wed Feb 27 09:20:16 UTC 2019

On 2/25/19 6:01 PM, Alvin Starr wrote:
> On 2/25/19 11:48 AM, Boris Zhmurov wrote:
>> On 25/02/2019 14:24, Jorick Astrego wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Have not measured it as we have been running this way for years now
>>> and haven't experienced any problems with "transport endpoint is not
>>> connected” with this setup.
>>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> Jorick, how often (during those years) did your NICs break?
>>
> Over the years(30) I have had problems with bad ports on switches.
>
> With some manufactures  being worse than others.

Hi,

Have been doing 25 years of infra and I have seen really everything
break and PDSS (People Doing Stupid Sh*t)

The NIC's these days are excellent quality and we never had one break in
10 years. We do a lot of testing before we put it into production and we
have had some other issues that have the same effect (switch faillure,
someone pulling the wrong cable, LACP mis configuration).

Actually we went from LACP with stacked switches to balance-alb. There
were more configuration errors with LACP and we had stacked switches
getting messed up. We now have separate L2 storage switches.

And the GlusterFS developers think it's the best bonding mode for their
application, so you don't have to take my word for it ;-)

https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Network%20Configurations%20Techniques/

    *best bonding mode for Gluster client is mode 6 (balance-alb)*, this
    allows client to transmit writes in parallel on separate NICs much
    of the time. A peak throughput of 750 MB/s on writes from a single
    client was observed with bonding mode 6 on 2 10-GbE NICs with jumbo
    frames. That's 1.5 GB/s of network traffic.

    another way to balance both transmit and receive traffic is bonding
    mode 4 (802.3ad) but this requires switch configuration (trunking
    commands)

    still another way to load balance is bonding mode 2 (balance-xor)
    with option "xmit_hash_policy=layer3+4". The bonding modes 6 and 2
    will not improve single-connection throughput, but improve aggregate
    throughput across all connections.

Regards,

Jorick Astrego

Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards,

Jorick Astrego

Netbulae Virtualization Experts

	Tel: 053 20 30 270 	info at netbulae.eu 	Staalsteden 4-3A 	KvK 08198180
 	Fax: 053 20 30 271 	www.netbulae.eu 	7547 TA Enschede 	BTW NL821234584B01