[Gluster-users] WG: CentOs 5.5 Glusterfs 3.1.0 Samba 3.5 MSOffice Files

Burnash, James jburnash at knight.com
Mon Feb 7 16:32:10 UTC 2011

Hello.

I hope the Gluster developers feel free to correct me in this but ... a lot of people seem to misunderstand the purpose of the Gluster File system:

- It is NOT a general purpose file system.
- It is not really a replacement for NFS - rather, it enables NFS access (as a client) to allow use of Glusterfs by servers that can't (or don't want to) install the native GlusterFS client.
- It is not designed for use with files under 1MB in size. That is not to say it won't work, after a fashion - but it calls to mind the saying ... "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!". Use the right tool for the right task.

GlusterFS IS optimized for large files being (mostly) read by many clients for the purposes of analysis, simulation, or (in the case of large image files) display and / or rendering.
- It supports parallel access to duplicate copies of files
- It supports high availability if mirroring is configured, allowing single nodes to fail or be replaced / serviced /upgraded without bringing down the file system - though at the expense of reduced I/O due to that node no longer handling file requests.
- It can scale to very high levels of I/O with higher numbers of storage nodes / pools since each new storage node increases the bandwidth available to access files stored in a given pool.
- It distributes files semi / sort of evenly across multiple nodes to decrease the possibility of hot spots in file access.

Given the above attributes, there are some things that it is not going to do as well as alternate solutions:
- Home directory replacement - small files constantly accessed by a single user
- Software build storage - hundreds / thousands of small files being read and written simultaneously
- Samba server backend storage - see the two points above.

Samba has its own clustering software that is specifically designed to complement and enhance Samba - CTDB http://ctdb.samba.org/
It does rely on an underlying cluster file system itself - but that file system should support small files and many clients simultaneously accessing said files. NFS will work better than GlusterFS at this task - and there are others.

I'll give the standard disclaimer, here.

I don't believe myself to be a GlusterFS expert - I've only been working with it for one year so far, and believe me, that is not enough time, in my opinion, to make me one.

I have implemented a 6 node storage pool serving hundreds of clients. Originally this was implemented in version 3.0.4 - I've migrated this to 3.1.1 smoothly (though with a LOT of work up front), and all that remains is to integrate the legacy 3.0.4 servers in to the new configuration.

This is just my opinion, and an earnest attempt to clarify at least my view of this amazing and useful tool. Other opinions and views are heartily welcomed.

Thanks,

James Burnash, Unix Engineering