[Gluster-users] WG: CentOs 5.5 Glusterfs 3.1.0 Samba 3.5 MSOffice Files

Daniel Müller mueller at tropenklinik.de
Mon Feb 7 19:38:50 UTC 2011

Hello,

seems that there is the most exact and right what you mentioned, but in my
case I run a pdc and bdc with samba and ctdb is not for the use of that.
Only a memberserver or fileserver can be clusterd with ctdb. If glusterfs
is just not working or doing the job for that I fall back to drbd with gfs2
or ocfs2.

Greetings
Daniel

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 11:32:10 -0500, "Burnash, James" <jburnash at knight.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> - It is not really a replacement for NFS - rather, it enables NFS access
> (as a client) to allow use of Glusterfs by servers that can't (or don't
> want to) install the native GlusterFS client.
> - It is not designed for use with files under 1MB in size. That is not
> say it won't work, after a fashion - but it calls to mind the saying ...
> "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!". Use the
> right tool for the right task.
>
> GlusterFS IS optimized for large files being (mostly) read by many
clients
> for the purposes of analysis, simulation, or (in the case of large image
> files) display and / or rendering.
> - It supports parallel access to duplicate copies of files
> - It supports high availability if mirroring is configured, allowing
> single nodes to fail or be replaced / serviced /upgraded without
bringing
> down the file system - though at the expense of reduced I/O due to that
> node no longer handling file requests.
> - It can scale to very high levels of I/O with higher numbers of storage
> nodes / pools since each new storage node increases the bandwidth
available
> to access files stored in a given pool.
> - It distributes files semi / sort of evenly across multiple nodes to
> decrease the possibility of hot spots in file access.
>
> Given the above attributes, there are some things that it is not going
> do as well as alternate solutions:
> - Home directory replacement - small files constantly accessed by a
single
> user
> - Software build storage - hundreds / thousands of small files being
read
> and written simultaneously
> - Samba server backend storage - see the two points above.
>
> Samba has its own clustering software that is specifically designed to
> complement and enhance Samba - CTDB http://ctdb.samba.org/
> It does rely on an underlying cluster file system itself - but that file
> system should support small files and many clients simultaneously
accessing
> said files. NFS will work better than GlusterFS at this task - and there
> are others.
>

> I'll give the standard disclaimer, here.
>
> I don't believe myself to be a GlusterFS expert - I've only been working
> with it for one year so far, and believe me, that is not enough time, in
my
> opinion, to make me one.
>
> I have implemented a 6 node storage pool serving hundreds of clients.
> Originally this was implemented in version 3.0.4 - I've migrated this to
> 3.1.1 smoothly (though with a LOT of work up front), and all that
remains
> is to integrate the legacy 3.0.4 servers in to the new configuration.
>
> This is just my opinion, and an earnest attempt to clarify at least my
> view of this amazing and useful tool. Other opinions and views are

/*.mdb/*.MDB/*.dbf/*.DBF/*.doc/*.docx/*.xls/*.xlsx/*.tmp/*.TMP/?~$*/~$*/*.ex