[Gluster-users] Problem with performance

Luis Cerezo lec at luiscerezo.org
Wed Feb 16 10:05:18 UTC 2011

is there a difference in speed between "ls" and /bin/ls ?

most linux systems have the pretty console colors, and there is an alias set for ls to ls --color=tty. this make ls read extra attributes. this takes forever on dirs with tons of files. if you do a long listing, it has to do lookups against NIS/LDAP for uid info if you use directory services too.

how large are these files?
do you have atime on? do you need atime on?
what are your bricks formatted as? ext3/4? Have you tuned them?

what is the network performance like outside of gluster? have you tested the network with iperf etc?

hope this helps..

-luis