[Gluster-users] Problem with performance

Roland Rabben roland at jotta.no
Wed Feb 16 11:00:25 UTC 2011

Thanks for replying. Comments below.

2011/2/16 Luis Cerezo <lec at luiscerezo.org>:
> is there a difference in speed between "ls" and /bin/ls ?

ls on my root folder containing 999 sub folders takes about 5 minutes
the first time I run ls. Then about a minute 15 seconds the following
times. I guess caching comes into play.

/bin/ls on the same root folder takes less than 2 seconds. Pretty
significant change!

> most linux systems have the pretty console colors, and there is an alias set
> for ls to ls --color=tty. this make ls read extra attributes. this takes
> forever on dirs with tons of files. if you do a long listing, it has to do
> lookups against NIS/LDAP for uid info if you use directory services too.
> how large are these files?

> do you have atime on? do you need atime on?

Bricks are mounted with noatime parameter, so atime should be disabled.

> what are your bricks formatted as? ext3/4? Have you tuned them?

My bricks are formatted as ext4. I have not really tuned them. I need
some intelligence on how to tune them.

> what is the network performance like outside of gluster? have you tested the
> network with iperf etc?

iperf on the production environment shows on average about 350-400
Mbps throughput.

Regards

Roland

--