[Gluster-users] Fwd: files not syncing up with glusterfs 3.1.2

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Feb 21 19:13:17 UTC 2011

On 02/21/2011 02:06 PM, paul simpson wrote:
> thanks for all responding - at least i know i'm not all alone.  i am
> shocked to think that so many on this list are having serious
> fundamental issues with glusterfs - and seemingly for a long time.  so,
> without wanting to troll - my  question is: "is gluster a serious stable
> general purpose file system"?  or, is it more a good "caching system"
> for a specific narrow domain?

I do believe it is a serious and stable system.  We are running into
specific bugs.  I'm ok with workarounds, but I really want to find a way
to cause the problems.

No one really questions other parallel FS, and from some of our
experiences with them, they have far worse issues.  Even with the
issues, Gluster is one of the best on the market.

Gluster is evolving, but the issue is, without the replicator, all we
can do is say "we are experiencing an issue" and hope it can be tracked.

> i'd really like to hear from any official gluster people out there -
> right now the silence is deafening.  is this issue know? is it viewed a

I don't know if you have a support contract with them.  If you do, you
should be speaking with them directly.  If not, their paying customers
come first.

> serious? it is being worked on? i'm all up for volunteering to help by
> sending in a test case, sending logs - whatever is asked of me.  i want
> to believe gluster is going to work - as do many other sys-admins i know
> of in the post/film industry.  however, i'm rapidly loosing confidence
> in gluster with each passing day of silence...

We have a growing number of customers in this space (and several
related).  We are highly motivated to find answers.  And we are opening
bugs as we find replicators that they can use.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com